Top 5 Things To Do In Toowoomba With Kids
There are plenty of fun things to do in Toowoomba with kids! Just over an hour’s drive from Brisbane, the ‘Garden City’ of Toowoomba is a bustling regional city located up on the Great Dividing Range. With plenty of wide open spaces and historical attractions, it is the perfect day trip or long weekend destination for families. Here is our top 5 things to do in Toowoomba:
This post may contain affiliate links
1. Experience Park Life
Toowoomba isn’t called ‘The Garden City’ for nothing, with over 150 parks and gardens to visit, play or picnic in! Our top picks for the kids are the serene Ju Raku En Japanese Garden, the sprawling Queens Park, the highly fragrant State Rose Garden in Newtown Park, the manicured Laurel Bank Park, and Picnic Point for it’s stunning views. If you plan to visit in Spring, be sure not to miss the annual Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers in September!
2. Saddle up at the Cobb+Co Museum
Home to the National Carriage Collection, kids and adults alike can learn more about Australia’s colonial history through interactive displays and exhibits, or take part in heritage trade workshops. The Coach Stop play area allows kids to dress up, run a general store, or pretend to ride a life-like horse.
COST: Entry fees apply. Find more information at www.cobbandco.qm.qld.gov.au/
3. All Aboard at DownsSteam Tourist Railway and Museum
Originally established to preserve and restore the last steam locomotive built at the historic Toowoomba Foundry Company, DownsSteam now includes a museum, the Drayton Station and Workshop Precinct, the beautiful Dreamtime Journey Coach, and more.
COST: Entry by donation. Find more information at www.downssteam.com/
4. Discover Hidden Lane-ways and Street Art
Toowoomba is home to hidden lane-ways with cute little coffee shops, and a multitude of beautiful murals and street art, thanks to the First Coat International Art Festival.
COST: Free (unless you buy several coffees while exploring!). Find more information, plus a map with locations, at www.firstcoat.com.au/
5. Get Building At The Transport and Main Roads Heritage Centre
If your kids love cars and trucks, or building their own transport company (like my son!), then a visit to the only road building museum in Australia should be on your list.
COST: $2. Find more information at www.tmr.qld.gov.au/heritagecentre
Beyond Toowoomba and Surrounds
If you are keen to explore further beyond Toowoomba’s city limits, then you are in luck! The Southern Queensland country region is perfect for family road trips, and home to stunning National Parks, quirky country towns, historic homesteads, and amazing food and wine experiences. You can find more things to do in Toowoomba and surrounds here.
Plan Your Trip To Toowoomba
- Skyscanner is a flight comparison site. Search for your flights, find the best deal for you, and then click to book directly with the airline.
- Rentalcars.com is the world’s biggest car rental booking site, covering all the major brands like Hertz, Alamo, Europcar and more.
- Booking.com is my go-to site for accommodation! Take advantage of free cancellation for some properties and a best price guarantee.
- Experience Oz offers thousands of tours, attractions, activities and experiences in Australia and New Zealand with no booking fees.
Tip: Pack a jacket or jumper, even during the warmer months. Toowoomba’s elevation means it is often quite cool at night!