Banana bread is a popular and delicious treat, however sometimes it can be full of added sugar and other additives (like some store-bought versions). This my easy and healthier take on traditional banana bread, it freezes well, and is a great way to use up bananas that are starting to get a little old.
Banana Spelt Bread
3 bananas, mashed
1/4 cup sweetener (honey, maple syrup, rice malt syrup)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups spelt flour (can substitute regular plain flour)
1 & 1/4 cups desiccated coconut
1/4 cup walnuts, broken into small pieces (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 160C fan-forced. Grease and line a loaf tin.
2. Combine banana, eggs, sweetener, oil and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3. Mix in baking powder, flour, coconut and walnuts (if using) until just combined (don’t over-mix!).
4. Pour mixture into the loaf tin and smooth out the top.
5. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.
6. Allow to cool completely in the tin before removing.